Monday, December 7, 2009

Another One Bites the Dust

Well, summer is in full force here. It's getting warm, the days are longer with sunlight until almost 9 pm, the  swimming pool opened, and, of course, I am fighting the never ending Battle of the Baratas. What is a barata you ask?? Well, it's a cockroach. Yup, a big, black, cockroach.

Because Horizontina is in the countryside and surrounded by a lot of forested area, you cannot avoid these buggers (no pun intended). They started showing up, uninvited, about 3 weeks ago. One here.....one there....so I got angry and put out these Roach Motels. They also have had some encounters with my Havaiana flip flop and let me tell you - I have a mean flip flop WHACK! So far, there has only been one that missed the flip flop flap. However, we had a re-match 2 nights later when I caught him ON TOP of the  Roach Motel. Let's just say, " he checked in, but never checked out".

Now, you might think that I have a dirty house, trash littered about, or something like that. NOPE! I have a nearly spotless house because I have someone who helps me take care of it three times per week. It is just something that you cannot avoid here and EVERY Brazilian has them in their homes in Horizontina. It's gross, but a fact of life here.

Last summer, I was SO freaked out by them and it would physically upset me when I saw them because I was so revolted by them. I found them in my bathroom, my bedroom, the kitchen, the living room. It's not like there are hundreds, but there are 1 to 2 at a time and THAT IS ENOUGH for me. I was fearful of them last year. What a difference a season makes! Now, I see them, RUN for the closest Havaiana and TAKE NO PRISONERS.

I just caught another one scurrying about the floor, a good 6 feet from the Roach Motel. I don't know how to advertise that this casa has NO VACANCIES! Oh well....WHACK! Another one bites the dust....

Um abraco,
Mollie

No comments: