So, my Brazilian experience continues...
Last night was this big party in Horizontina called Jatao fashion weekend or " a festa que e ridicula", which means " a party that is ridiculous". This local carnaval club, kind of like a fraternity, organizes it. The purpose is to wear the most outrageous clothes you can find and parade around the streets. The group, Jatao Choppado, closes off sections of the streets near the center of the city and they hire different bands to play music. It sounded like a fun thing to do and EVERYONE in the whole town was going...or it seemed anyway. It was like the most talked about thing at work all week.
I planned to go with my friend, Marcio, and some of his friends. I met a few of them earlier in the day at a churrasco (barbeque) and they seemed like fun girls. I dressed up in a denim skirt, with a funky pink apron someone gave me as a gift (err...my mom...), orange and brown knee highs, red shoes and a bathing suit top over a shirt. I put my hair in two Britney Spears (pre-K Fed...Oops I did it again...) pigtails with pink fluffy ties and painted freckles on my face. It was pretty comical and non sensical--PERFECT!
We went to the party and it was insane! The streets was closed off and FULL of people! People were drinking in the streets, which is totally allowed in Brazil and even families were out with their kids at 10 pm at night. It was around 10 pm when we arrived at the party. I didn't realize it at the time, but we were actually at the pre-party. The actual party was on another street! So, for the next 3 hours, we danced to music, ran around from group to group and had fun! I ran into some people from work ( a little embarrassing considering my outfit--but they looked funny, too!) and some of the other ex-pats.
The outfits were outrageous!!! The most comical thing was the number of guys that were dressed up as women or pregnant women as their "costume". I don't quite get the infatuation they had to dress up like women, but it was by far the most popular outfit. Weird!!!
Well, what made the night the most interesting was my indoctrination into how Brazilians party. I spent most of my night with these two girls I met earlier in the day, Kelly and Andreasa, who are both Brazilians. They pretty much took me wherever and would just say "Mollie, vem", which means, "Mollie, c'mon". They would grab me by the hand and we'd go to some other street, dance, etc. Well, at one point, we are talking to some people and this guy comes up to me and asks my name (in Portugues, of course). I tell him. Then ask him his name. The next thing I know, I am being assaulted by his tongue in my mouth!!! EWWW!!!! This random guy was kissing me!! I backed away and wiped my mouth with my hand. He kind of looked at me like I was a freak and I was staring at him dumbfounded. I didn't know that asking someone's name meant an invitation for a yucky, sloppy kiss.
My friends tried to explain something to me in Portuguese, but I didn't get what they were saying. They were telling me something about "kisses" and that "the women choose", etc. I didn't know what they were talking about. At this point, I've gotten a good grasp of the work lingo, but the social life words are still difficult. I started to see my friends kiss these random guys over and over and then I realized that what they were telling me is that the guys ask if they can kiss you and then the women choose if they want to be kissed or not! CRAZY!!!! I felt like I was 21 years old again and not going on 31! It was very comical after that and luckily I knew how to avoid kissing any frogs. :-)
Well, we finally went into the actual "party" around 1 am, listened to some guy that kind of is like the Weird Al Yankovic of Brazil, and around 3 am, I was out of juice! I called it a night and went home. My friends stayed until 4 am, I guess. By that time, I was turning into a pumpkin! I have to get some pictures and will post them in a few days.
That's one more "experience" to add to my Vida in Brasil (Life in Brazil)!!!!!!!
Um abraco,
Mollie

No comments:
Post a Comment