I apologize for my long hiatus from blogging. Long story short, I had a trip to the US which was great, got back to Brazil and moved into my house (finally!) and just yesterday finally got Internet in my house!
I have a lot to blog about related to moving into my home here. It's so nice to finally be in a house and have some familiar things from the US. It hasn't been without a lot of problems...like getting water established, then getting hot water, installing a phone line and numerous other things--all in a foreign language! But, I have survived!! There is so much truth in the phrase, "that which does not kill us, makes us stronger"!
I promise to keep my blogs up now. I leave this evening for a Brazilian wedding in the state of Santa Catarina for a co-worker and very good friend of mine. It should be an adventure!! Here is a funny story from today I had to share!
Today my housekeeper, who has been working for me for one week, asked me the following: “Would you like for me to iron your underwear?” I wasn’t sure I understood her correctly because she asked me in Portuguese and I have to still translate some words in my head.
“Iron my underwear”, I thought. Why would I iron my underwear?
So, I asked her “Por que”, or “why”? She told me that some people want their underwear ironed and some don’t. She wasn’t sure what I wanted.
I told her (in Portuguese), “No, I don’t. At this time the only person who is seeing my underwear is me, so it’s really not necessary.” Ou para meus amigos Braslieros...."Em neste moment, so eu vai ver elas!"
She laughed really hard. I don’t know if she laughed at my Portuguese or the fact I made a joke.
But, I figured that I must be learning the language pretty well if I can crack jokes in Portuguese.
Um abraco!

1 comment:
Piece of information I could use... ;)
-SN
Post a Comment