Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A Vida Simples...The Simple Life


View from Cristiane's Dairy Farm, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
All pictures taken by Sandra Schrag



Hello Friends!

Excuse my long hiatus from my blog. I have fallen into the routiness of life here in Brazil where somethings don't seem as new or funny to me as they did in the beginning. Plus, I am not sure who is reading this and it's hard to gauge what is funny or interesting to you.

In any case, here is one interesting & new thing I did in the past few months. I'll post more in the next few days!

I learned how to milk a cow. Yes, folks...me, the girl from San Diego, who knows better how to boogie board, build sandcastles, handle spicy Mexican food, and never saw a cow, pig, farm, combine, tractor (or anything else farm related) until she was 22, has MILKED A COW. My friend, neighbor and manicurist, Cristiane, grew up on a dairy farm. Her family still operates it and she invited me and some other ex-pats to visit the farm. It was really amazing to visit! They have a pretty sophisticated milking operation and it's tightly controlled. I got to taste some of the milk from their cows. Her mom makes everything from scratch and is a real working woman! Cris is a wonderful, sweet, patient and kind friend and it was wonderful to have a day at the farm. Here are some pictures! Um abraco!

Me, going in for the squeeze. I was kind of scared actually! 
My new friend. After the big " squeeze". 

Another farm experience. Putting your finger into the mouth of a young calf. Note the facial expression. It was really weird!!

1 comment:

Jenna J said...

Your adventurous spirit never ceases to amaze me!