Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Brazil in Spring...When It's Thanksgiving in the US

Ola from Brazil!

Right now it is late spring our primavera here in Brazil. It is becoming warm. For example, the past 5 days have been around 85 degrees! Hot enough for pool weather!! I have air conditioning in my bedroom, but not the rest of the house. I am probably going to buy a few ceiling fans and have those installed before the weekend, since the forecast is for 90 degree weather! YIKES!!! There are also a lot of bugs...mosquitos and other bugs that I cannot even recognize. Somehow, they all manage to find their way into my house. So far, I haven't had anything too freaky....


This week is Thanksgiving. But, it's not a Brazilian holiday since it's an American holiday. Even though I work for an American company. It doesn't matter! The only good thing about working on Thursday and Friday is that I won't get any emails from colleagues in the US! Ha, ha. 


To celebrate Thanksgiving, I am hosting a traditional Thanksgiving lunch/dinner at my house on Sunday for all the American ex-pats. With babies, there are approximately 13 of us!  We made up a menu of foods we like and foods we can find ingredients for here in Brazil. We won't be having any cranberries, but I managed to import a can of pumpkin pie filling! MMM.....It should be fun and I am VERY thankful to have such a wonderful support network here in Brazil and abroad. THANK YOU FRIENDS AND FAMILY!! I love you!!!

So, right now I miss the following:
-Talking with people about their Thanksgiving plans
-My friends - The Girls, Russ/Deb, Hogues, Vonda & the Silvis girls, Keith, Yudith, Julie Ann, Krystal, ...and many more
-My family...the holidays just aren't the same without your family, like Grandmas & funny Uncle Jim (not that I actually have an uncle Jim)
-Looking forward to 4 days off work! :-(
-All the post Thanksgiving sales!!!!!! 

But, I will be ok and I'll be seeing my family soon at Christmas. For now, I'll have to share Thanksgiving with some new friends/family and try to create a little bit of America here in Brazil. 

Lots of love....Um abraco!

Mollie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss you bunches Mo!!!! Happy Thanksgiving - lots of hugs!!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a taste of Thanksgiving even though you aren't in the US. We'll try and have a 'Fall Follies' the next time you're here for a visit!